18.11.10

World's Scariest Police Chases

I finally got a epsxe working on kubuntu 10.04 with a PS3 controller.

This thread did most of the work for me.

joypad.cfg was a joy to configure, but once I got it working it felt good. Though it kept trying to use the sixaxis which is upsetting. Manually assigning keys using the .cfg file saw that through.

So, best games to play. Well Symphony of the Night is a classic that makes the latest DS releases pale in comparison. The difficulty is pleasing too; a far sight from the soft, bared underbelly of Dawn of Sorrow. In fact, it even gave the steep yet truncated Order of Ecclesia a thrashing. A skeleton killed me before I realized that saving religiously was essential to progression.

The only things I miss from the DS titles is the secret walls at every junction.

Actually thinking back, I don't miss the piles of useless items and abilities to collect.

I do miss the extra side quests from Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. Though both games suffered from a chronic case of the shorts and really needed the padding.

Having discovered a good 23% or thereabouts on my first hour of play, I figured eh, the game is five times as long as that, give or take retracing my steps.

Then I discovered it is ~200% exploration and the castle inverts itself at some point.

Oh joy! I started wishing the latest attempt at 3D was more Metroid Prime 1 or 2 and less Devil may cry about the rent while living in a loft of a Castle named Devil Castle Dracula.

Well, dying often and having to reload from the title screen derails my playing. For times like this I have World's Scariest Police Chases.

I didn't do any research into the title, just thought world's blankiest blank was a good genre to get into and popped it on.

Well. I got in some GTA style driving on free patrol then tried the missions. Stopping cars by ramming them was pretty fun, the driving tests not so much.

Then I was told to pull out my gun and disable the car I was chasing.

Yep, the narrator explains in a serious voice, that split second decisions like steering well or deciding to shoot at a car you are pursuing is what police must do to "save lives and keep the peace". I really hope this game was funded by the police in part.

By now I am back in freeplay, pulling drivebys on pedestrians that dare to dodge my SUV as I bare down on them. I start thinking that GTA is only so fun. You are a criminal, that is your shtick. Break some laws, get money, take your cousin bowling...

I think a police sim that allows you to be crooked as hell, generally disobey the law and cause chaos would be a great game to play.

And I just remembered the millions of hours spent with nelix playing Crackdown. Now it all makes sense.


I am going to keep pretending World's Scariest Police Chases is a simulator designed for recruitment. It feels better to drive the opposite direction from cars you are meant to chase, do burnouts through white picket fences and wildy discharge firearms while driving along the middle of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment